Monday, July 27, 2009

SORROW



ORISON

Don't let me die in the river,
like driftwood drenched to the bone
don't let me drown in the river,
don't let me die alone
don't let me die in the subway
a trashbag all i own
don't let me pass near mass transit
don't let me die alone
for those who die in clinics,
the cynics in pillared homes,
the poor and the poor little rich ones
whose money could not atone
for the scourge of dying loveless,
now let the Spirit moan,
while we light the altar votives
for those who die alone






on the edge of this frightful cup of tea
someone has lied to me
on the lip of eggs benedict and cigarettes
and good cheer
on the sunlight and the grin from ear to
ear i have been deceived
i have denied the tears in my eyes and the
ache in my ass
have resisted the pull of the long loneliness
didn't we forget that long before the ministers
of good cheer showed up
wise men heard the crying in the night and told
us
told us things that heal the same time they
rip the scar away
like father take this cup from me
like me buck naked, weeping, confessing
no longer proud
resting in a hope that cries are
heard
the restored word
jesus soggy in the garden saying
i am sick unto death
like Rumi dancing dervish saying
the only cure for the pain
is in the pain...

No comments:

Post a Comment